Tuesday, January 22, 2008

pommes frites carnivale

O light! This is the cry of all the characters of ancient drama brought face to face with their fate. This last resort was ours, too, and I knew it now. In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. - Albert Camus

It's perhaps the perfect middle winter quote. And it's been thrown around quite a bit, but most often without the first few lines. It's worth some meditation while looking out the window at the shelves of ice floating in Lake Michigan - cracked angular pasty smiling winter.

story: off i went to find the depaul choir, which i joined last night. i wrapped myself tightly in warm clothes and mounted my bicycle, still froze my feet on the way there, and eventually wound up in lincoln park, at a kinkos - the directions didn't work. the kinkos guy told me to go somewhere that was wrong. i ended up at a dominicks, and i was so shy i didn't want to ask anyone where it was. so i walked into the fruit section, where fruit was being misted ever so gently, and i pretended to shop for fruit while i tried to build up courage to ask someone where the depaul music building was. there were too many people to ask. this was one problem - lots of young people that must have been depaul students... i was stuck. and i didn't want to be awkward. i didn't want to select someone and have them wonder why i selected them. "is he trying to pick me up? why did this random disheveled biking guy choose me? what is he doing in dominicks?" finally, i saw a woman with a viola case on her back and i thought this must be the person. so, i finally found the courage and asked her and she told me that was where she was going next. so, she finished buying fruit, i bought nothing and we strolled together to the music building.

No comments: