Monday, December 31, 2007

here's to the new


I pledge you, I pledge myself, to a new deal for the American people. Franklin D. Roosevelt

The last year is nearly over: a year that found Fresh traveling to Australia for more than half the year, exploring asia even more and eventually coming back to the US.

I refuse to say it was short or flew by, even though a year is not quite as long as we usually think. When I look back, I did a lot this year, and where I was last year is certainly not where I am now. (I do wish I were embarking on another trip right around the corner, however) On that note, I am accepting applications for those interested in traveling to South America, and riding a motorcycle back to Chicago - or as close to it as possible.

Reflection is important, but in the transition to the new year, I feel like it's best to look forward. I've tied up the knots I could in 2007, and am looking forward to building new and reinforcing old bridges in '08. The year-end break forces this type of broad reflection, which most often leads to cliched responses and inaccurate, broad statements. It was a year, this is a month, this is a day, this is an hour, this is a minute, a second, of life. Time to live.

No comments: